Repetitive Stress Disorder to Joints
What is Repetitive Stress Disorder?
Are you facing troubles while doing some physical activity? You might be dealing with the pain & discomfort of repetitive stress disorder. It is a condition that causes pain due to some physical activity while affecting certain areas of the body. Most individuals are typically known to suffer from repetitive stress disorder in joints and other vital areas of the body. To ensure relief from the same, you can consider going for the option of advanced chiropractic care from the experts like Dr. Jeffrey Pruski.
Repetitive stress disorder is known to occur as a result of continuous movement or exertion of a particular body part like joints and others. Due to continuous wear & tear and stress in the given body part, it results into pain, inflammation, and discomfort of some kind or the other. In extreme cases, the condition might even lead to damage or strains to the surrounding tissues of the joints and other body parts. Repetitive stress disorder does not fall under the category of a specific medical condition.
As far as its origin is concerned, the condition associated with repetitive stress disorder has been around the time since humans started exerting their body for some hectic work or carrying out manual labor of some intensive kind. The first-ever description of the condition has been linked back to 1700s with reference to Bernardino Ramazzini -a leading Italian physician. In his medical study of the condition, the physician went forth with describing as many as 20 unique categories of RSD (Repetitive Stress Disorder). He had observed the symptoms related to RSD in the industrial workers of Italy during that time.
In the modern era, some of the major causes of RSI are linked with hectic office work, intensive manual labor, the continuous utilization of modern-day technological devices, and so more. RSD is known to affect any body part that remains in constant movement most of the time. RSDs are mostly associated with repetitive tasks, vibrations, forceful exertions, awkward or retained positions, and mechanical compression. Some of the other common names in association with RSD are RMD (Repetitive Motion Disorder), repetitive motion injuries, CTD (Cumulative Trauma Disorder), overuse syndrome, and occupational overuse syndrome.
Symptoms of Repetitive Stress Disorder
Some of the common symptoms that you might observe with repetitive stress disorder are:
- Loss of strength in the particular body part
- Loss of sensation
- Tingling -especially in your arms or the hand
- A pulsating or throbbing sensation in the given area
- Pain or tenderness in the affected joint or muscle
Depending on the part of the body that is affected by the disorder, the symptoms might vary from one individual to another.
Causes of Repetitive Stress Disorder
The causes of RSD might vary significantly. However, some of the common movements or activities that might increase the overall risk of developing this condition are:
- Using some vibrating equipment quite often
- Overusing a specific muscle or some group of muscles
- Application of direct pressure to specific areas of the body
- Forceful activities
- Working intensely in cold temperatures
- Sitting in a poor posture or a workspace that is not ergonomically designed
- Carrying heavy loads every now & then
- Remaining in the same posture for prolonged periods
- Increase in the overall psychological stress
Repetitive Stress Disorder Diagnosis
A doctor or specialist is mostly able to diagnose the condition of developing RSD with the help of a physical examination. Alternatively, the specialist can also inquire you about a series of activities that you tend to carry out on a daily basis. The physician might be specific about explaining the tasks that might cause pain or discomfort of some kind or the other.
As per the RSD diagnosis, there are two types of the condition encountered:
- Type 1 RSD -It is known to be a type of musculoskeletal disorder. Some of the common symptoms observed for this type of symptom are inflammation & swelling of specific tendons or muscles in the body.
- Type 2 RSD -It might be due to a wide range of potential causes. It is often linked with some kind of nerve damage that might be the result of work-related activities.
Treatment Options for Repetitive Stress Disorder
While the symptoms and causes of Repetitive Stress Disorder tend to vary, the overall treatment options also vary from one individual to another.
Some of the common treatment options available for this problem are:
- Medication -You can consider taking anti-inflammatory painkillers (like ibuprofen and aspiring) along with anti-depressants and muscle relaxants for ensuring relief from the painful conditions. You might as well regard taking sleeping pills if your sleeping pattern is disrupted due to the pain & discomfort.
- Steroid Injections -These are recommended by the physicians in case there is inflammation that might be associated with the given medical condition. However, these might have certain side-effects. Therefore, it is recommended to always take expert advice from some specialist before considering this option.
- Chiropractic Care -This form of treatment can serve to be a great way for managing as well as relieving pain & swelling as a result of repetitive stress disorder. When you undertake chiropractic care for the condition, it can help in providing you with a safe as well as non-invasive alternative to the harmful prescription drugs and OTCs (Over the Counter) medications.
In a typical chiropractic care, the chiropractors are known to deliver a non-invasive, gentle, and non-addictive way or therapy -referred to as chiropractic adjustments. The processes of chiropractic adjustments are capable of reducing the overall joint misalignments or restrictions in the spine as well as other parts of the body. This helps in reducing the overall inflammation while improving the function of the affected joint & nervous system. Chiropractic treatments are aimed at increasing the overall joint mobility while improving the functionality of the nervous system. By doing so, the body delivers the capability of managing symptoms caused due to repetitive stress disorder.
Ensure the best-ever care for your condition of repetitive stress disorder. Make the most of the advanced chiropractic care from Dr. Pruski now! For getting immediate relief, schedule your appointment right away!